E-learning course SUWANU EUROPE: Practical knowledge about use of reclaimed water for agriculture
PRESENTATION & OBJECTIVES
Water scarcity is a global problem which is not only limited to traditional dry areas. Indeed, 17% of European territory suffers from water scarcity and 46% of the European population lives in places which are water-stressed.
The problem is especially acute in Southern Europe where there is a growing water demand mainly from the agriculture and tourism sectors.
Agricultural production in Europe represents the highest water use accounting for 36% of the total annual water use and 75% in the Mediterranean region.
The E-learning course of SUWANU EUROPE aims to transfer the knowledge obtained by research institutions and water practitioners about the safe reuse of water reuse in agriculture to the public.
This course targets to provide key concepts and tools to understand the potential and limitations of water reclamation in Europe.
- Introduction to the course. This module will provide initial information about SUWANU Europe and basic concepts of water reclamation. As well as its development potential in our society.
- The Role of Reclaimed Water in the Green Deal Approach. Module 1 presents the environmental benefits of the reclaimed water in agriculture and its connection to the green deal.
- Water reclamation approaches.In this module advanced and nature based technologies used in water reclamation for agriculture are explained along with the correspondent quality requirements. Furthermore, the challenges and possible solutions faced in water reclamation are reviewed.
- Reclaimed water for sustainable Agriculture. In this module main topics related to the operation of water reuse initiatives in agriculture are explained. Including irrigation equipment, effects of reclaimed water on crop quality and yield, feasibility and the costs benefits.
- EU Framework for Water Reclamation. This module presents the new EU regulation and strategic plans for reclaimed water for agricultural irrigation. Additionally, provides information about how water reclamation can be incorporated into integrated water resources management.
- Final Test and Certificate. The video topic questions were grouped and a final exam per module was prepared.
METHODOLOGY AND TEACHING STAFF
This online course is developed in the framework of SUWANU EUROPE as one of the tools for summarize, present and disseminate the best practices and research findings related to use of reclaim water for agriculture.
The course is free of charge and with the completion of the course, participants will receive an official certificate. It consists of 5 modules that will be assessed through a final test.
The learning material will be available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Flemish, German, Bulgarian and Greek.
- General Public
- Agricultural practitioners and food Industry
- Water technology Developers
- Oriented to public authorities