On January 26, 2021 the online workshop "Train the practitioners" took place in Plovdiv with high interest from the different project's targeted stakeholders.The Workshop was hosted by the Agricultural University – Plovdiv, where 88 attendees, including farmers, irrigation companies representatives, researchers, experts from the public and private sector from different parts of Bulgaria attended.
The Workshop discussed the results achieved through the project performance and the possible policy implications of current practices for reclaimed water reuse enforcement in Bulgaria.
The workshop started at 9 am, when Assoc. prof. Stefan Shilev welcomed the attendees and announced the SWOT and PEST analyses results and the Regional Action plan for reclaimed water use. He explained to the participants three examples for water treated water irrigation in Spain, available in the Initiative area of the project's webpage.
The workshop included the following topics:
- Opportunities for support of farmers under the RDP 2014-2020, related to irrigating equipment and infrastructure. Consultation services under the next program period, presented by the National agricultural advisory services.
- Current and future projects for rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructure and their impact on the price of irrigation water explained by the expert from the state company Irrigation Systems EAD, Maritsa branch.
- Examples of water reuse in agriculture in Bulgaria and abroad;
- Water treatment technologies and irrigation systems with reclaimed water;
- REGULATION (EU) 2020/741 of the European parliament and of the Council of 25 May 2020 on minimum requirements for water reuse.
Assoc. prof. Violeta Dirimanova drew attention to the actors in SUWANU EUROPE' AKIS analysis that supports the transfer of knowledge and technology in practice. She explained to the participants the role of the Regional Working group appointed in the project's frame.
Part of the agenda was an online survey, targeting to examine the willingness of the specialists and stakeholders on the reclaimed water use in agriculture and the obstacles of their point of view. The short questionnaire is still available in the Bulgarian language to receive further opinions. Click here to access.
After the workshop, discussion was held between the participants that resulted in suggestion for preparation of an official opinion to the MoEW, Water Directorate, on the Third Period of River Basin Management Plans, where to set measures for the use of water resources in periods and areas of drought and accelerating the reclaimed water use for irrigation , etc..
All the presentations shown during the event and the information materials are available to download below:
- Bulgarian Regional Action Plan to promote reclaimed water in agriculture, assoc. Prof. Stefan Shilev (Agricultural University of Plovdiv.
Practical examples of reusing irrigated water in agriculture, assoc. Prof. Stefan Shilev (Agricultural University of Plovdiv).
Network for the efficient transfer of knowledge on the safe and economically justified use of waste water in agriculture in Europe, assoc. Prof. Stefan Shilev (Agricultural University of Plovdiv).
AKIS analysis: Stakeholders and their role in the knowledge and information system in agriculture, assoc. Prof. Dr. Violeta Dirimanova (Agricultural University of Plovdiv).
Distillery water use, Mihail Mihaylov (Distillery “Zlatna Roza”).
NAAS in support of small farms and young farmers, Petya Kumanova (NAAS).
Systems for irrigation, assoc.prof. Rositza Meranzova, Agricultural University-Plovdiv
Presentation of a new regulation 2020/741 on minimum requirements for water reuse Agricultural University Plovdiv, Antoniya Danailova (Agricultural University of Plovdiv).
Succesful stories on reclaimed water irrigation in Europe, SUWANU EUROPE Data Base.