In Portugal, the participatory workshop of SUWANU EUROPE project took place on September 18th at the Alentejo Science and Technology Park in Évora during an outreach session organized with the overall objective of discussing the water reuse in irrigation. During the event Carina Arranja (FENAREG) and Rita Rijo (CONSULAI) did a brief presentation of SUWANU EUROPE project along with the disclosure of the REUSE project which also deals with the water reuse in irrigation. The reason behind the organization of the participatory workshop within this event, is the general constraints in assembling the needed stakeholders such as farmers, advisers, researchers, industry and public entities. This event presented as the perfect opportunity to have all these stakeholders in one room, discussing and crossing ideas in this thematic.
This meeting with entities, both public and private, resulted in new knowledge of what has been done in Portugal, namely about projects involving the use of treated water in agricultural irrigation. In addition to new knowledge, the meeting allowed the gathering of new contacts, with entities of a different nature.
In this context, the efforts made by some Portuguese entities to apply and study the use of treated waters in agriculture were noticeable. Given the growing effects of climate change, such as the frequency and intensity of droughts increase, the reuse water as an alternative and constant source of water for certain non-potable uses is of great importance in Europe and Portugal.
Download here all the files about the workshop:
- REUSE project presentation , Sara Antunes (ADP).
- SUWANU EUROPE presentation, Carina Arranja (FENAREG) and Rita Rijo (CONSULAI).
- Circular economy and reuse under the Common Agricultural Policy presentation, João Marques (GPP).
- Experience Presentation - LOGOWINES, Nuno Franco (Casa Relvas) and Marco Machado (ADVT).
- Alentejo Wine Sustainability Program - Reuse and Wastewater, João Barroso (CVRA).
- Alentejo Science and Technology Park.